Thursday, March 23, 2006

rent a minority

I recently found out about this initiative. It is now possible to go to a library and "borrow" a person to tell you about his or her experiences in life. The organizers have sought "typical" members of groups the ordinary citizen on this country would not interact with on a day to day basis.


So, you can borrow migrants of just about any nationality and flavor. Gays are so ordinary, I doubt there is much demand for them and the same holds for women (hey, half the people I know are women).

As with most things in life, I don't know what to think of it. Is this a Wonderful Initiative that will further mutual respect and understanding? Or is this an Insidious and Butt-Clenching Way in which the domination of a certain picture of "Dutch" culture is confirmed. (By presenting a minority as a minority, you tend to implicitly confirm his or her minor status -- or so I am told by some people.)

And the other thing I don't know is who I will borrow...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home