Monday, February 12, 2007

The new Dutch government

Nobody took me up on my bet on the new Dutch government. Turns out that I was incredibly wrong. I am eating my humble pie. I really thought it would be impossible to form a new stable coalition, but it looks like they pulled it off anyway. One of my MA students who also pursues an MA in political science told me that he would have predicted this right after the election, as the 'ideological distance' between the new coalition partners was the least of all possible coallitions. I thought that even the smallest 'ideological distance' (and, no, I am not going to explain what that is -- I am not even sure myself) would be too big to bridge. But no; the Netherworld remains a governable state... Incidentally, the new coalition will be formed by the social-democrates, the Christian-democrats and a small orthodox Christian party. Can you blame me for my initial incredulity? Oh, and I refrain from offering any wagers on how long it will exist...

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home